The past two weeks have been hectic around here. We've 'endured' the indecisive Southern California Winter weather- 90F and 20MPH winds one moment, torrential rain and wind chill the next. I know, from a life growing up here, not to complain. My friends and family back East have much more to contend with. But what I wasn't expecting was to open up my kitchen sink cabinet 10 days ago to discover a leak had burst (who knows how long prior) and the entire cabinet was full of sitting moisture. I'll spare you the details but that portion of the house was off limits for an entire week. And me, without my kitchen to bake and cook in, was the worst of all. I felt like a fish out of water and my idle hands, once busy with baking sheets, mixers, and boiling pots, sought comfort elsewhere. The Starbucks® Cozy Collection couldn't have arrived at a more opportune time.
The secret to this delicious recipe? Well, there are two, actually. The first is the homemade Ganache whipped up with coconut milk, semi sweet morsels, and a Starbucks® Via Caramel Instant Latte packet. Just pour your favorite Starbucks Instant directly in for an immediate flavor boost that elevates this dish beyond traditional chocolate. The second secret is in how you brew your Starbucks Hot Cocoa K-Cup® pods. If you happen to have a 2.0 Keurig® Brewer, or newer, you can actually tell your unit to brew your Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa even stronger. So go ahead and select '4oz' and let all the flavor out as you make your egg bath for this french toast recipe.
Starbucks® Hot Cocoa K-Cup® pods are available nationwide at major retailers and grocery stores. Visit their website to learn more about store locations, flavor selections, and even more delicious ways to enjoy Starbucks in your own Cozy moment at home. For a chance to win your own Cozy Collection from Starbucks please head on over to the Warm Up With Cocoa website to enter now through February 26th, 2016. Follow the brand in Instagram or Twitter to keep up with the latest innovations in flavor and cozy. Now, tell me, what's your favorite way to enjoy a cup of hot cocoa?
What Daughter Says: However you take your cocoa, get cozy at home with new Starbucks® Hot Cocoa K-Cup® pods.
Hot Chocolate French Toast
Click here for printable Hot Chocolate French Toast recipe
1 C Coconut Milk (Or Other Milk Substitute)
1 Starbucks® Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa K-Cup® Pod (brewed on 4oz setting)
3 Large Eggs
2 TBS Vanilla Extract
1/4 TSP Salt
1/4 TSP Ground Cinnamon
4 TBS Butter OR Coconut Oil
8 Thick Slices of Challah (or Similar) Bread
3/4 C Heavy Cream OR Coconut Milk (Canned)
9oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate, Chopped OR Morsels
1 TBS Coconut Oil
2 TSP Instant Espresso/Coffee Powder (I Use Starbucks® Instant VIA Caramel Latte)
1 C Mini Marshmallows (Optional)
1 C Fresh Whipped Cream (Vanilla-Honey Recipe Below)
1. In a microwave safe bowl combine heavy cream/canned coconut milk and chocolate to make Ganache. Microwave for 30 second intervals on high, stirring between until smooth. Stir in instant coffee until dissolved and smooth. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (no longer) while preparing the rest of the dish.
2. In a glass measuring cup add 1 C of coconut milk (or milk substitute) and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until the milk is HOT. Stir in 4oz brewed Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa. Let cool 5-10 minutes.
3. In a 9"x13" baking pan whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk in the hot chocolate mixture.
4. Remove your Ganach from the refrigerator and spread the mixture generously over one side of each of your bread slices. Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top if desired. Sandwich slices together, placing them in hot cocoa egg mixture. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes flip the sandwiches and return the pan to the fridge for 15 minutes, or overnight.
5. When ready to cook your french toast heat a large skillet or pan over medium heat, coated generously with coconut oil or butter. When the pan/skillet is hot cook the french toast in batches (1-2 sandwhiches at a time) until golden and crisp. (About 3 minutes per side.) Remove and serve immediately with a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Honey Vanilla Whipped Cream
Click here for printable Honey-Vanilla Whipped Cream recipe
1 1/3 C Heavy Whipping Cream
3 TBS Honey
1 TSP Vanilla Extract
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes.)
2. Add the honey and continue to whip on medium speed until medium stiff peaks form (1-2 more minutes.) Add the vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
3. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 4 hours, covered.