Momma Told Me: Drink it- don't play with it!
Hot chocolate was my absolute favorite seasonal drink, growing up. It loved it so much, living in Southern California where warm drinks never were quite necessary to begin with, I'd order a mug of hot cocoa for dessert more often than not when my family went out to eat. The best part, to me, was always the fun of playing with the melting whipped cream; blowing bubbles with my straw, putting daubs of it my father's nose, and stirring those chocolatey clumps of powder with anticipation. There was something magical about taking boring milk and transforming it into something deliciously chocolatey with a few simple swishes. And that, my friends, is where the inspiration for Hot Chocolate OREO Cookie Balls came from.
Wilton's Deluxe Melting Pot) until uniform in texture. Adding 1 TSP of Shortening for every Cup of Melting/Baking Chocolate will help thin the mixture for even dipping. Once your balls are dipped, place them on a clean parchment sheet and decorate as desired. We made 3 different flavors of OREO Cookie Balls- Chocolate OREOs with Cinnamon Drizzle, Classic OREOs with Mini Marshmallows, and Mint OREOs with Peppermint Candy Flakes. If you are doing multiple flavors of OREO Cookie Balls be sure to decorate each flavor different for identification!
OREO Cookie goodness for family and friends. They'll assume you spent hours slaving over them, anyway! OREO Cookie Balls can be enjoyed as a confectionery treat, or this particular version, the Hot Chocolate OREO Cookie Ball, can be packaged with some straws and a mug with simple instructions to "Drop one into a cup of hot milk (or milk substitute), stir, and enjoy!" The 'Hot Chocolate' effect will work best when OREO Cookie Balls have been set out to reach room temperature- now, wouldn't this be a great idea for an after meal treat or holiday gathering?
Do you have a favorite OREO Cookie flavor/variety you'd love to turn into an OREO Cookie Ball?
What Daughter Says: Go ahead, have a little fun with your hot chocolate, when there are OREO cookies inside it!
OREO Cookie Ball + Hot Chocolate OREO Cookie Ball Recipes
**Click here for Printable OREO Cookie Ball Recipes
Official OREO Cookie Ball Recipe
8oz Cream Cheese, Softened
36 OREO Cookies, Any Flavor (Firmly Crushed)
16oz Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, Melted
1. Combine cream cheese and cookies until well blended.
2. Shape into (approximately 48) 1" balls, freeze 10 MINS.
3. Dip OREO Cookie Balls into melted chocolate and place in single rows on parchment paper lined pan.
4. Customize with your own decorations/toppings/flavors.
5. Refrigerate 1 Hour, until firm.
Hot Chocolate OREO Cookie Ball Recipe
8oz Cream Cheese, Softened
36 OREO Cookies, Any Flavor
20oz Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (or melting chocolate flavor/color of your choice)
3/4 C Heavy Cream
1. In a blender, pulse OREO cookies until even and fine.
2. In a double broiler (or similar technique,) combine heavy cream, cream cheese, and 4oz Melting Chocolate until even. There may be some cream cheese speckles when mixture is fully combined, this is okay.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool 15-20 minutes (refrigerate or soak bowl in cold water bath, while stirring, for quicker cooling.) Mixture will be a heavy mousse texture.
4. Add OREO cookies and combine well until a dough is formed.
5. Roll OREO Cookie Ball mixture into approximately 1" balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Chill 15-20 MINS, or Freeze 5-10.
6. While OREO Cookie Balls chill, melt remaining chocolate (add 1 TSP Shortening for every Cup of chocolate for a thinner dipping texture, if desired).
7. Remove OREO Cookie Balls from fridge/freezer and dip in chocolate. Decorate/Top as desired and return to fridge 1 hour, or until firm. Package Hot Chocolate OREO Cookie Balls with a note saying: "Place 1 Room Temperate OREO Cookie Ball into 1 Cup of Hot Milk, Stire, and Enjoy!"