Today is the first day in weeks where I've taken a deep breath and felt entirely myself. After weeks of fighting this season's flu, and a few tumultuous days of work and social affairs, I've emerged to that 'New Year's shine' everyone is so buzzing about. I'll admit, I have not been myself these past few weeks; and that did make the holidays rough- but here I am fresh and once again invigorated for all that lies ahead. In fact, we're kicking off 2016 with our first installment of a new blog series covering entirely random, picked at whim, 'National Day of Celebration' posts. Every week in 2016 you can tune into Momma Told Me for a unique recipe or project celebrating something completely arbitrary based on a little known National holiday.
While I so very much wanted to make some Wookiee Cream Puffs for National Science Fiction Day and National Cream Puff Day (January 2, 2016) I only just recovered in time for today's post. It's my hope, as we move through the year, that I will get the scheduling in order enough to share these fun recipes and crafts with you days, if not a week, in advance of the holiday so that you can follow along and celebrate too. I'm a little late to the celebration this week- but these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes will taste just as good any other day of the year as well.
What Daughter Says: Life may be like a box of chocolates, but these cupcakes never disappoint!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
***Click here for printable Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes recipe.Ingredients:
1 Box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/2 C Dark Cocoa Powder
3 Eggs, OR 3/4 C Greek Yogurt
2 TSP Vanilla Extract
1 C Light Sour Cream
3/4 C Vegetable Oil
2/3 C Organic Tart Cherry Juice
Cherry Buttercream Frosting
1 C Organic Tart Cherry Juice
3 Sticks Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, Softened
3 C Confectioner's Cugar
1 1/2 TBS Meringue Powder (OR Egg White Substitute)
1/2 TSP Vanilla
3 TBS Milk (Or Milk Alternative, I Use Coconut Almond Milk)
5 OZ Bittersweet Chocolate (Chopped or In Small Morsels)
6 OZ Heavy Whipping Cream
Red Sparkling Sugar
Prepare Buttercream 1 Day In Advance
2. Beat softened butter ans cooled cherry syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer, with paddle attachment to combine. In a separate bowl combine Meringue powder and confectioner's sugar. Add gradually to the bowl of the mixer, on low speed, until incorporated. Add the vanilla, and a portion of milk to help moisten the buttercream mixture. Whip on Medium speed for 4-5 minutes, adding the remainder of milk as necessary, until a smooth and creamy buttercream texture is achieved. Refrigerate Overnight.
3. Preheat Oven to 350F. Line 2 cupcake pans with 24 liners.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment combine the cake ingredients on low speed. Once combined, mix for 3 minutes on medium. Portion the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins, about 3/4 full. Bake for 14-16 MINS at 350F, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. Allow to cool in pan for 2 MINS before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
5. While cupcakes bake prepare your ganache by heating cream in a small saucepan just until simmering. Pour hot cream over chocolate chunks/chips in a heat safe bowl and cover. Set aside for 5 MINS. Uncover and mix thoroughly until smooth and creamy.
6. Place both the cherry buttercream and ganache in separate piping bags. Pipe cooled cupcakes with cherry buttercream and drizzle with ganache. Sprinkle red sparkling sugar as desired and top with a stemmed Marschino cherry.