Fall is here, and I know I'm supposed to be sentimental about warm cups of cider and freshly baked apple pie; but, living in Southern California, Fall is almost an extension of our Summer. This year we've also been waiting out an incredibly long drought, so the odds I'll see good downpour, let alone chilly morning are looking quite dim. And, let's face it, who really wants to crank up the oven when the evening temperatures are barely dipping below 80? So I set out to fix this, combining my favorite chilled dessert cheesecake, with a classic Fall favorite; apple pie.
I brought a tray of these to our (bowling) league Thursday and they disappeared before anyone could grab seconds. I dare your holiday guests to resist this dangerous combination of comfort foods! What 2 favorite desserts would you love to see combined?
What Daughter Says: I'll still be topping these with ice cream- it's much too hot for warm desserts here!
Apple of My Pie Cheesecake Bars
**Click for printable Apple Cheesecake Bars recipe
1 Package (1lb 1.5oz) Oatmeal Cookie Mix
1/2 C Firm Butter
16 OZ Cream Cheese, Softened
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
1/4 C Golden Brown Sugar
2 TBS All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 TSP Vanill Extract
1 Large Egg
1 Can (21OZ) Apple Pie Filling
1/2 TSP Ground Cinnamon
1/3 TSP Nutmeg
1/4 C Chopped Walnuts
Preheat Oven to 350F
1. Prepare bottoms and sides of 13x9 cooking pan with spray.
2. Cut butter into cookie mix in a large bowl. Combine with a fork until mixture is dry and crumbly. Set aside 1 1/2 C of cookie mixture. Press remaining mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 10 MINS.
3. In a large bowl beat cream cheese, sugars, flour, vanilla and egg with mixer, on medium, until even.
4. Spread cream cheese mixture on top of partially baked crust. In a medium bowl combine pie filling, cinnamon, and nutmeg. (You may desire to chop pie filling further.) Pour evenly over cream cheese layer. Sprinkler remaining dry mixture over and top with walnuts.
5. Bake at 350F for 35-40 MINS, or until crust is light golden brown. Cool 30 MINS and refrigerate to chill about 3-4 hours.