Some of my favorite childhood dishes were meals Momma whipped up with leftovers and a bit of ingenuity. They were haphazard, unlikely, meals that quickly became favorite weeknight solutions for their touch of gluttony and simple composition. There were the Tuesday night trash tacos made of just about any meat, veggie, or condiment Momma happened to have lying around in the fridge before doing the week's grocery shopping the following morning. Sometimes these 'tacos' included frozen chicken nuggets, flattened slices of bread ('tortillas') and even leftover Hamburger Helper. But my favorite was always the impromptu Bagel Pizza nights where I could build faces out of cheese and veggies under the premise we were having a family pizza night.
What Daughter Says: Flawless food doesn't have to take 5 hours.
Baked Ham + Cheese Wheels
***Click here for printable Baked Ham + Cheese Wheels Recipe.
1 LB Deli Sliced Thin Ham
1 Can Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust
12 Slices Swiss (Provolone, Cheddar, etc) Cheese
1 Stick Butter
3 TBS Brown Sugar
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
1 TBS Poppy Seeds
Preheat Oven to 350F
1. Prepare a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Unroll the pizza dough onto a cutting board and gently roll/press into an approximately 13 x 18" shape. Layer cheese slices side by side, slightly overlapping. Place an even layer of ham atop cheese slices.
3. Beginning with the longer side of the rectangle roll up to the edge, tightly. Gently pinch the seam of the dough together at flap. Cut into approximately 12 1.5" slices and place wheels side by side in prepared baking dish.
4. Melt butter in the microwave within a microwave safe container. Add brown sugar, Worcestershire, mustard, and poppy seeds and combine well. Pour glaze evenly over wheels.
5. Bake at 350F for 20-25 MINS or until tops have reached desired golden color.