As you know, last year, I began exploring a variety of alternate food styles and playing with various recipes that meet restrictive diets. Not because I, personally, was ready to scratch these things off my everyday diet, but because I find the creativity involved with recipe development and unique substitutions makes for a more pure eating experience overall. Have you ever noticed the fewer ingredients in a recipe the more each individual ingredient and flavor stands out? When we're forced to scrutinize what goes into our food we naturally develop a stronger appreciation for the profiles and flavors being created.
What Daughter Says: Vegan has a bad rap among carnivores- but it's really a matter of cleaner eating. You'd be surprised what you can discover if you open your mind and palette.
Vegan OREO Cake
***Click here for printable Vegan OREO Cake recipeIngredients:
2 C Coconut Milk
2 TSP White Vinegar
1 1/2 C Coconut Palm Sugar
2/3 C Vegetable Oil
2 TSP Organic Vanilla Extract
2 C All Purpose Flour
2/3 C Dark Cocoa Powder
2 TSP Instant Coffee Powder
1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
1 TSP Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1/2 C Vegetable or Coconut Shortening
1/2 C Vegan Butter (Such as Earth Balance Original)
2 C Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
Preheat Oven to 350F
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment beat the sugar, vanilla extract, vinegar and oil until fluffy (about 2 MINS.)
2. In another bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add the cocoa/flour mixture to the wet ingredients in 3 alternating batches. Beat for 30 SECS after each addition, scraping down sides as needed. Don't overbeat.
4. Spray and flour 2 9" cake pans. Pour the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Bake for 40 MINS at 350F, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Allow cakes to cool int he pan for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to cool on a rack until entirely cooled. Prepare frosting while cake layers cool.
6. Place room temperature butter and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixture with a whisk attachment. Beat until fluffy, about 1 MIN.
7. Add the powdered sugar in batches, 1/4 C at a time, beating and scraping between as needed for an even mixture. Once all of the ingredients are introduced beat until soft and fluffy. Frost your cooled cake layers with a generous layer of frosting between. Garnish with crumbled OREO cookies if desired.