When Savannah was pregnant with my youngest nephew, Nathan, she had the worst sort of sweet tooth. I'd hear their truck's engine warming up at 2 am as the entire family would pack into the car and run to the fast food location on the corner for OREO milkshakes and churros. One hot and sweaty SoCal Summer afternoon, just a month out from her due date- I wandered across the street to share in the misery of the heat and dote upon the woman enduing it while carrying another human being inside her. When I arrived all windows and doors were wide open, a common enough scene- but the dining room table was covered in marshmallows and cereal boxes.
inspired by emergency afternoon cereal bars made for my pregnant sister. Enjoy these simple Nutella Crisped Cereal Bars with as much chocolate flavor as you want. Like it a little richer? Up the unsweetened cocoa powder. Want a stronger sweetness? Add some more Nutella. However you whip up this recipe you can't go wrong- just don't throw all the ingredients in the microwave at once. In fact, we recommend the stove top variation. Now, tell me, did you ever make a last minute recipe or dish for yourself or a loved one who was pregnant?
What Daughter Says: Some of my favorite memories are also the stickiest. Part of the fun of simple recipes are the people you share them with!
Nutella Crisped Cereal Bars
***Click here for Nutella Crisped Cereal Bars recipeIngredients:
3 C Crispy Cereal Of Choice
1 TBS Butter or Butter Substitute
2 C Mini Marshmallows
1/2 C Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
1/4 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat and add marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted and even.
3. Add the cocoa powder and Nutella and mix well until smooth and creamy.
4. Remove from heat and pour the crispy cereal into the marshmallow mixture and combine with a wooden spoon until evenly coated.
5. Pour crispy cereal mixture into the parchment lined pan and top with a second sheet of parchment paper. Press down firmly until cereal mixture smooths to edges and is a firm compact brick.
6. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes or allow to cool to room temperature for 15-20. Lift cereal bar block up from baking dish by edges of parchment lining paper and place on solid cutting surface. Cut into even squares about 1.5" in width.